– Lets go over some of the hormones secreted by the thyroid gland.
(levothyroxine) synthetic thyroxine (T4)
MOA: Increase metabolic activity of body
Uses: Drug of choice for long-term
hypothyroidism, simple goiter.
S/S of hyperthyroidism –
tachycardia, sweating, intolerance to heat,
diarrhea, abd. cramping, weight loss,
decreased bone density in the hip & spine.
- PTU (propylthiouracil)
- Tapazole (methimazole)
- Lugol’s solution.
- interfere with synthesis of thyroid hormone and inhibits
conversion of T4 to the more active T3.
- Lugol’s Inhibits the release of thyroid hormone, causing them to accumulate in the thyroid gland.
- hair loss
- Hyposecretion of the parathyroid hormone
- Hyposecretion of the thyroid hormones T3 and T4
- Decreased rate in the body’s metabolism
Can lead to myxedema coma
Myxedema Coma can be life threatening
Common Drugs used for Hypothyroidism.
- Liothyronine Sodium (Cytomel)
- Liotrix (Euthroid)
– Hypersectretion of the hormones T3 and T4
– can lead to thyroid storm
Enlarged thyroid gland (goiter)
THIS CLIENTS WILL TAKE LIFELONG THYROID REPLACEMENTS.
Common Meds (Hyperthyroidism):
- Levothyroxine (Levothroid): watch out for Tachycardia (side effect)
- Methimazole (Tapazole)
- Pottasium Iodine, Saturated Solution (SSKI)
- Radioactive Iodine (Sodium Iodide) 131
Thyroidectomy: During a thryoidectomy it is very important for the nurse to have a tracheostomy set at the bedside just in case of a respiratory emergency.
Example: Florinef (fludrocortisone)
- *Promote Na and water retention. Help
maintain fluid and electrolyte balance.
Aldosterone is the main mineralocorticoid.
Uses: Chronic adrenocortical insufficiency.
- Hypokalemia, fluid retention
- Decadron (dexamethasone)
- Solu-Medrol (methylpredinisolone)
- Prednisone, Celestone (betamethasone)
- Aristocort (triancinolone)
*Affect CHO, protein and lipid metabolism
Antiinflammatory response protects cells from
damage related to immune response.
Glucocorticoids (Remember the Side Effects).
- muscle wasting
- peptic ulcer
- increased WBC
- can masks signs of infection