Growth & Development
The Infant (20 days to a year)
- Trust vs. Mistrust
- Weight doubles after 5 months
- Weight triple at 1 year
- Avg. weight is 7-9 lbs.
- Babinski, Moro and tonic neck reflex disappear.
- 3- 6 months: Infant now has neck control.
- 9 months: infant can say mama or dada.
- Solitary Play (alone)
The Toddler (1- 3 years old)
- Autonomy vs. Shame
- The toddler builds self esteem or shame
- The terrible two’s (No)
- Toilet training starts
The Preschooler (3-5 years of age)
- Initiative vs. Guilt
- At 5, the child has about a 2,000 words vocabulary.
The School Age (6-12 years of age)
- Industry vs. Inferiority
- Associative Play ( cooperation)
The Adolescent Child ( 12-18 years of age)
- Identity vs. Role Confusion
- Secondary Sex Characteristics appear